Like most other devices, your iPhone also has a built-in calculator app. Usually, most iPhone users either don’t use the app at all or utilize it just for doing simple additions and subtractions.
However, there will be many occasions where you’ll need to perform complex mathematical problems on your iPhone, such as fractions, exponents, logarithms, square roots, etc.
Among all such problems, fractions are the most common ones, and at some point in your life, you would want to know how to do fractions on the iPhone Calculator app. Besides, you need to learn some simple tricks to solve fraction equations within seconds!
So, here we will cover all the ways you can do fractions on your iPhone calculator including some useful tips and tricks. Without further ado, let’s jump right in.
How to Do Fractions on the iPhone
- Open the Calculator app.
- Rotate the phone to landscape.
- Tap the necessary symbols and numbers.
Our guide continues below with additional information on working with fractions on an iPhone, including a couple of other methods that you might prefer.
3 Methods of Doing Fractions on iPhone Calculator
When it comes to doing fractions on your iPhone, there are not just one, but several methods to do the math. The simplest way is to rotate your phone for turning on the scientific mode instantly. Two other ways include using parentheses and a third-party application.
Now, let’s go into the details of these three methods and find out which one is easier for you.
Method One – Switch on the Scientific Mode
As we mentioned, it’s not only the simplest but also the most useful way to do fractions. Because in this way, you get most of the complex features and symbols similar to the regular scientific calculators. To switch the modes, follow the steps given below –
Step 1: Launch the Calculator App
From your iPhone home screen, locate the Calculator icon and tap on it to open the calculator app.
If you fail to spot it on your home screens, try to search for it manually.
For this, swipe up or down from the middle of your iPhone screen, and a search bar will arrive at the top. This feature is called “Spotlight Search” and it can be really useful in locating apps or information that you need.
Now, type ‘Calculator’ on the search field, and the app will appear instantly even if it’s hidden.
Step 2: Fix the Portrait Orientation
When you open the calculator app, it’s on a basic mode with regular numbers and signs. As you’re holding your device upright, the position is called ‘Portrait Mode’.
You need to rotate your phone to a horizontal position to switch on the scientific mode and this position of your phone is called ‘Landscape Mode’.
If you’re not able to switch the screen modes, then your phone is probably locked in portrait mode. Here’s how you can swap the modes-
- To change the settings, swipe up or down from the middle of your iPhone screen and the ‘Control Center’ will arrive.
- From there, locate the ‘Screen Orientation’ sign. It has a classic lock-like shape that’s placed in a circle. If the color of the icon is red, be sure that the portrait orientation lock is turned on. This prevents your iPhone from going to landscape mode automatically.
- Gently tap on the icon just once and it will turn white. You’ll also see a pop-up message notifying you about the changes. You can always swap the modes by following the process and with a simple tap.
Step 3: Type Numbers and Symbols
Now it’s time to learn how to type fractions on an iPhone calculator. First, you need to spot the 1/x button from all the symbols available.
Here’s how to turn decimals into fractions –
- Type the decimal number you want to convert. Then press the 1/x button.
- Here, the number you have typed will function as the denominator while the numerator is 1. As soon as you tap on the button, the fraction value will appear on your phone screen.
- For example, to find the fraction value of 50, type ’50’ first. Then press ‘1/x’ and on your screen, you’ll see the answer 0.02.
Method Two – Use the Division Key
So the previous method was easy and effective. But what if you want to use a different numerator other than 1? That’s where our next method is helpful and you can do it even without turning on the scientific mode!
This is how you do it –
- While you’re on the calculator app, type the number you want to use as the numerator. After that, simply press the ‘Division’ key.
- Put the value of your denominator and press the ‘Equal’ button. And the fraction value will appear right on your screen.
- Here’s an example: If you want to calculate the value of ¾, Type ‘3’ and then ‘÷’. Now put the other value ‘4’ and tap ‘=’. And answer 0.75 should appear on your screen.
- You can also perform more complex equations using the normal mode of your iPhone calculator. Sometimes you’ll need to use parentheses to get the accurate number.
- For instance, to add the previous fraction ¾ to a decimal number 2, type (3÷4) and then tap on the sign ‘+’. Then simply put the number ‘2’ and go for the ‘=’ button. Then you will get the result ‘2.75’ without any delay.
Method Three – Use a Third-Party App
Luckily, there are many third-party apps for iPhone devices that solve the most complex mathematical problems within moments! While some of the apps require monthly payments, some are absolutely free.
Among them, below we have narrowed down the 3 safest and most practical calculator apps. Have a look –
- Calcbot 2
Known as an ‘intelligent calculator, Calcbot 2 is free for everyone. The app allows to you customize your preferred scientific constants. It offers you an elegant app interface with excellent graphics and patterns. From easy fractions to difficult trigonometry, the app can do it all.
Moreover, you can enable an ‘expression view’ that shows every equation you have typed on the screen. You can save your equations as ‘favorites’ and sync the app with iCloud to secure your calculation history.
Another free calculator app, the Numerical2 is excellent for getting your answers just by copying the question. As you type any question, the app will automatically add brackets to give an accurate answer instantly.
You can also find the calculation history just by a few taps on your iPhone screen. It can be linked with iCloud so that you can access it from your other Apple devices. With this app, you can easily solve fractions, differentiation, and logarithm problems.
The app offers you fully blank canvases so that you can add your preferred components only. Moreover, if you edit one canvas, all the related canvases will be updated accordingly.
Besides doing fractions, you can also perform complex graphs on this calculator and adjust the results with utmost ease. However, this is a paid application and you need to pay just a couple of bucks to get this calculator app.
So now you know how to do calculate fractions on your iPhone’s calculator. If you follow our instructions, it will be a matter of moments to achieve accurate fraction values. In case you face any problem with the calculator app, contact the Apple website without any hesitation.